Doug Woods For Sheriff
4106 W. 6th Street, Suite B
Lawrence, Kansas 66049
Curtis G. Barnhill, Treasurer
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Doug Woods, 52, of Lawrence, Kansas, formally announces his campaign for Sheriff of Douglas County, Kansas.
For the past 33 years, Doug has served and protected the citizens of Douglas County, both as an employee of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and as an active member of our community.
Over the course of his career, Doug has been deeply invested in every aspect of Douglas County’s law enforcement practice, supervising employees in nearly every division of the Sheriff’s Office. These experiences have given Doug the first-hand knowledge that is necessary to lead our community as Sheriff.
Doug has the dedication, vision, and first-hand experience necessary to ensure that our Sheriff’s Office continues in the right direction.
As Sheriff, Doug will:
- Ensure access to mental health services for employees and persons in our jail
- Ensure access to drug and alcohol counseling for persons in our jail
- Ensure that the Reentry Program remains a nationally recognized program and continue to provide the best opportunities for those transitioning back into our community
- Ensure that the safety of our Douglas County citizens remains the focus of the Sheriff’s Office
- Require all Sheriff’s Office employees to engage in our community through volunteer services
- Ensure that our law enforcement officers have the necessary technology and equipment needed to serve and protect the citizens of Douglas County
- Maintain the highest degree of fiscal responsibility and transparency with how the money provided by the citizens of Douglas County is being used
Born and raised in Lawrence, Kansas, Doug’s roots in the Douglas County community run deep. Doug graduated from Lawrence High School in 1986, Doug joined the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office as a Corrections Officer in the Douglas County Jail in January 1987. 33 years later, Doug currently serves as the Operations Division Administrative Captain, where he supervises several departments of the Sheriff’s Office, including Investigations, Court Security, Warrants, Internal Affairs, and Civil Process.
Doug’s family also has deep roots in our community. His father, Jim Woods, was a dedicated member of the Kansas law enforcement community, beginning his career with the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office in 1965 and retiring as a member of the Kansas Bureau of Investigations in 2000. Doug’s mother, Jody Woods, served as a nurse in Lawrence for 50 years. Doug has two brothers who also graduated from Lawrence High School, Dwayne Woods (1991) and Tim Woods (1988).
Doug is the proud parent of Wyatt Woods, age 26. Wyatt attended Lawrence Public Schools and graduated from Lawrence High School in 2012. During Wyatt’s childhood, he and Doug spent most of their time together on the baseball or football field, where Doug served as the coach for many of Wyatt’s teams. Wyatt and Doug are both avid outdoorsmen, spending time together whenever they get the chance. They enjoy frequent trips to fish at Clinton Lake, whitewater rafting in Colorado, and camping trips in Arkansas. Wyatt graduated from Pittsburg State University in 2017 with a degree in Construction Management and currently works as a Construction Superintendent with ARCO National Construction.