Most people know that when water freezes, it expands. But did you know that a 1/8-inch crack in a water pipe could cause up to 250 gallons of water a day to leak into your home or commercial property?
To prevent frozen pipes, review these tips:
• Disconnect garden hoses and install covers on outside faucets.
• Make sure gutters are free of debris so melting snow and ice can flow freely through the gutter.
• Set heat thermostat for 65 degrees.
• During a deep freeze, open doors below sinks to allow warm air to circulate. Allow faucets to drip cold water slowly.
• When away for an extended period of time, winterize pipes by having them drained. Set thermostat no lower than 60 degrees.
• Wrap pipes near exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation.
• Make sure heating vents are open in all rooms, especially the basement where it is the coldest.
• Consider weather sealing your windows to prevent drafts.
• Insulate outside walls and unheated areas of your home.
If your pipes freeze:
• Heat up the pipe with a blow dryer, space heater, heating pad, or warm towels until the water can freely flow.
• Start thawing a pipe nearest to the faucet. Open the faucet slightly so water can be released as it starts to thaw out.
If a pipe bursts:
• Locate your water shut-off valve and turn off the main water supply. This will prevent water from continuing to pour out.
• Call a plumber to repair the pipe. Drying services cannot be performed until the source of the issue is fixed.
• Contact your insurance agent immediately about the water damage. They can verify your coverage before a claim is filed.
In the event you face a water disaster from broken pipes, call the experts at Rainbow International Restoration of NE Kansas to begin water damage restoration. Keep Rainbow International Restoration’s number – 785-371-2400 – with your other emergency contacts, and let them restore your home and life after a water disaster.
About Rainbow International®:
Established in 1981, Rainbow International is a global franchise organization providing professional residential and commercial restoration and cleaning services through more than 400 locations worldwide. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its “Franchise 500,” Rainbow International franchisees offer services including water damage restoration, fire and smoke damage restoration, and mold removal. Additional services such as carpet and upholstery cleaning, tile, grout and hard surface cleaning, odor removal and more are also available. Rainbow International Restoration of NE Kansas utilizes the most advanced equipment, innovative technologies and accountability systems to assure an uncompromising commitment to service excellence and customer satisfaction. For further information visit RainbowIntlNEKansas.com.